After a storm, an owner’s refrigerator was not running and contents had spoiled. The repair company found the fan motor, inverter board and control board had burned out and had to be replaced. Repairs cost $2,500 and spoilage totaled $221. Covered costs: $2,721.
An appliance repairman called in when a homeowner’s gas stove wouldn’t light discovered the igniter had physically broken. Since the stove was 15 years old, no replacement part was available. The gas stove was replaced with a new one. Covered cost: $1,720.
A wall oven would not turn on. After troubleshooting, the repair company determined the circuit board which controlled the operation of the oven had shorted internally and the electronics could not be repaired. The circuit board was replaced. Covered costs: $1,264.
An owner came home to find water soaking his flooring and cabinets. Investigation revealed the dishwasher's inlet valve had broken and water had continued to run, damaging the kitchen’s hardwood floor. The homeowners policy covered floor replacement and Home Systems Protection covered the broken dishwasher. Covered cost: $1,270.
A homeowner's alarm system, telephones, laptop, aquarium pumps, digital sound processor and network switch did not work due to a surge when power was restored after an outage. Inspection showed all equipment had been electrically damaged and had to be replaced. Covered costs: $3,910.
Central Vacuum System
A repair company called in when a central vacuum system would not work confirmed there had been extensive electrical damage to the wiring and motor, but they could not locate replacement parts for the system. A new system was installed. Covered cost: $1,521.
When no one was home, a short in a blower motor caused a pellet stove to smoke and smoldering pellets reached temperatures high enough to warp the hopper chamber. Smoke damage was covered by the homeowners policy. Home Systems Protection covered the stove replacement. Covered cost: $3,926.